There are so many on-demand apps and websites present in the world now, which serve every miscellaneous home service to the users on the platter (or app). Let’s start counting the normal issues that come with hiring a handyman app, a) because of their busy schedule finding a professional is way difficult, b) provided that they have time to rectify the issue at home, their service charge will be huge, definitely and c) finding professionals at a reasonable price is backbreaking.
But with on-demand handyman apps, people no more have to look in their neighborhood to find a handyman who would check off all three challenges. Thanks to the technology…again. They don’t have to go through those scenarios of hunting down the best professional, and they can easily recruit one handyman in less than an hour and finish off their job like clockwork.
Know more: Top 10 Android Scanner Apps for 2022
By bridging the gap between customers and home service providers on a single platform, the Uber for handyman app has become an inspiration for many startups and entrepreneurs. Any services you name, cleaning or installation, pest control or repair services, and other legions of services can be ordered through some quick taps on the smartphone.
Customers can save their time, resources, and effort by looking for dependable service providers online and receiving their much-needed service on time.
A glimpse of the flourishing home services industry:
- The online on-demand home services industry in Southeast Asia is poised to grow at a CAGR of 54% during the period 2021-2025, accounting for the US $258.47 billion
- 46% of US customers prefer to schedule appointments through online mode
- Just in the US, the on-demand home services sector has grown multi-folds during the pandemic
Not just from the entrepreneurs’ perspective, but the on-demand app also allows service providers to earn their share of opportunities, profits, and visibility. Unlike the online mode, the offline mode won’t open up many ways to reach the target audience. Realizing this, many handymen have also taken it their cue to reach out to online apps like Uber for handyman. Hence, the booming progress.
How to develop your Uber for handyman app?
Whether you are choosing a ready-made Uber for handyman solution or you are going to develop it from scratch, the development plan should be effective enough. The below-listed protocol will tell you 5 essential steps that you should follow to make your app development fruitful.
Step #1: Requirement analysis
A great app stems from a good idea. Many entrepreneurs overlook this essential part most of the time, letting their efforts go down in vain. When you adopt the same technique of the on-demand handyman app, you must be sure to add a new possibility or unique functionality to the app, that hasn’t been found before.
Put yourself in the customers’ shoes and think what is the problem that they face every day, and how your idea can solve their problems. Even if there are some ideas similar to yours, there is always room for improvement. Though it might be an intellectual workout, the result will be worth it.
Step #2: Market research
Here, you will one-up your game to look at the competition. Because, in this stage, you will look at the competition prevailing in your niche. Take a note of your competitors’ app name, the feature set their app has, price monetization scheme, ratings, and reviews of the app, etc. This will give you a clear understanding of your competitors’ strengths and weaknesses. Shortly known as SWOT analysis, this will be a great way to validate your app idea.
Step #3: Wireframing- Decide the feature set and functionality
Wireframing of an app is like blueprinting an app. This part doesn’t concern with the app’s UX but will lay out the app’s functionality from beginning till the end. Everything includes functionality, tools like app integrations, feature sets, and app viability.
It helps you clarify actually about what you want your app to do, basically. Given below is the list of features that are most important to hold the app for a successful result.
There are three main stakeholders of the app with personalized features and functionalities:
- Admin panel
- Handyman app
- Customer app
Let’s discuss the unique set of features and functionalities:
As an app owner, you can control all the main functionalities of the on-demand app with this panel. The set of features that comes under the admin panel are:
- Bookings management– You will be able to track all the current and past bookings along with details of the professionals and users. This way, you can even manually assign a task to one of the service providers on your own. Your app users will thus not be failed without prior service.
- Customers and professional management– Proving your app to be trustworthy and reliable is an arduous task. This feature enables you to add or remove or ban or unban any professionals or even customers from the app platform. Thus whenever there might seem a threat to your app business’s reputation because of any stakeholders, you can remove them to maintain the quality of your business.
- Site management– Using this, you can control the platform for any website’s logo or content changes or any other technical elements like URL, meta description, etc.
- Cancellation details– You could see the cancellation details and the reason behind them. By looking into the feedback and by acting upon it might enhance your progress.
- Push notifications management– Push notifications are the anchor of the engagement rate of the app, integrating this feature will allow you to channelize the push notifications based on announcements, festive offers, wishes, etc.
Professionals have a separate app to manage their service processes efficiently. The feature set integrated into the app should enable them to share the services they provide and accept bookings directly.
- Add/edit profile information– The professional should be able to enter their details first to gain recognition. Based on your requirements, you can also have a social media login feature to help them finish their profile setting quickly.
- Service requests– By integrating this feature you will allow the handymen to accept or decline the service requests from the customers based on their flexibility. It will be a great option for gig professionals who want to get associated with your app to earn in their free time.
- Earning reports– The professionals could be able to view the earning details directly in the app based on weekly, monthly, or yearly earning reports.
Customer app – Uber for Handyman
Given below is the list of some fundamental features of the customer app. There are more features to the customer app but the provided features are most significant to the app that you should not miss integrating.
- Search– This is a key feature of the customer app. Your customers should be able to communicate with the service providers directly. With advanced search, they can search for local handyman professionals. This will also encourage users to have better interaction. You might also add the details of service providers like their experience, service charge, their expertise, etc.
- Schedule appointments– Users should be able to schedule booking reservations or should be able to book a service instantly. Those features will give them more flexibility to contact a handyman at any time.
- Multiple payment modes– As a trademark of the on-demand app, your app should offer consumers a range of payment choices. Remember, the more the choices, the level of ease will also be higher. If you provide only one payment choice, then you are at risk of damaging the brand’s image and closing the traction. Therefore consider adding reliable and secure payment gateways like Stripe, PayPal, etc.
- Live tracking– The mandatory feature that you should have in an on-demand app, which allows users to track the handyman in real-time. It will give them the ease to track the progress of the handyman once he accepts the task.
- Loyalty programs– The feature that can promise a great engagement rate. One main reason why people come back to on-demand apps is because of the referral programs, discounts, and coupons. Integrating this into your app can bring more traffic to your app.
- Push notifications– You might integrate this feature to keep your users updated on any offers, their service status, and any exclusive deals offered on the platform.
Step #4: Design
Apart from the back-end, features, and functionality, your app’s first impression will be given off by your app’s front-end. That is the app’s design. The basic expectation of your customers will be to have an easy-to-use app, that doesn’t lag with every screen transition.
To put it precisely, it should be intuitive and friendly. You must have an idea of how many features go into the main screens and not suffocate it with so many elements. You should be in constant touch with your app development partner to review and recheck all requirements.
See more: Ultimate iOS App Development Tools List
Step #5: Development
This is the stage where you will actually bring your app idea to life by gathering all the requirements and designs that you drafted in the earlier stages. The app development will be divided into a series of phases.
In most cases, you will be starting to create a working prototype here to check the feasibility, conclusion, and scope of your work, such as developing an MVP (Minimum Viable Product). Say it is like a raw version of your app, which will have only fundamental features and not a full-fledged app.
So, you can distribute it to a select community of potential users to test your app. Then the app can be switched to the implementation stages after the vulnerabilities have been rectified, which brings us to the next stage.
Step #6: Testing in Uber for Handyman
This is again an important stage to address the errors and bugs in your app. So make sure that your development team goes through all the steps required for app testing. Every aspect of the app like its usability, compatibility, interface checks, compatibility, and efficiency should be checked.
You can also include a few people from your target demographic and ask them relevant questions about your app or their feedback after usage. You will know how your full-fledged app works.
For even better testing, make the app available for beta testing either by enrolling an audience from your selected communities or putting it open for volunteers.
Step #7: Deployment
Your app would have taken the shape that you had imagined and dreamt of. So the next step is to pick a date and schedule an official launch. Make sure your app follows all the policies of all the application stores for smooth listing.
Though these are some mandatory steps, app development is never over with this. App development is the loop of reviewing and upgrading and repeating. If you think you can sit back and relax after launching your app. Then it’s fair to say that you are completely wrong.
As soon as your product gains visibility, you should also face feedback, whether negative or positive. You should use the feedback to build your app with updates and new functionalities. For this again, you need to start a development cycle, and the process goes on and on.
But if you are meeting the demand of your customers, all that you sweat will be worth it at the end, when you get the recognition and profit.
What is the cost of developing an Uber for handyman?
There are factors that contribute to the cost of developing an Uber-like app for handyman. It depends on what application platform you choose to follow, whether Android, iOS, or web. The time is taken to configure and develop your app, features that have been integrated into the app, the architecture complexities, back-end development construction, etc.
Also, the development cost is dependent on the number of professionals, and technologies involved in the app. In a nutshell, your choice in every technology, development agency, and the platform is what influences cost in the end.
When you have clarity of what change you are going to bring to the industry through your app, consult with experts on the technical aspects of app development for adding more value to it. Because, with a sound idea and stable app, gaining profit is no rocket science.
Hari is a Business Success Specialist from Uberdoo, an on-demand app development company. Being a people person, he is all about building the best relationships with clients. He has a knack for crafting the most successful strategies that have increased customer retention rate by 30%. Despite any inflexible situation, he always drives the team onwards with his go-getter attitude.